Move over Von Trapps, it's time for the sound of school:
New sharpened pencils and fresh ink in pens
Bright stadium lights and warm woolen letterman's
Brown paper lunch bags tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite back to school things
With all of the stress, busyness, and seemingly endless meetings that greet teachers at the beginning of each school year, I thought that today would be a good day to reflect on some of my favorite parts of the back to school season. Feel free to share yours in the comment section below!
1. Shopping for supplies: I absolutely LOVE going shopping for school supplies (even if I do have to foot the bill myself). I like freshly sharpened pencils, white board markers that write brightly, and pens that still have matching caps. I like tape rolls that are new and easy to use and fresh butcher block paper that is just calling out to be used for mind mapping and student presentations. Hands down, my favorite thing to shop for is a new academic planer to fill with to do lists, which quickly transform to lists of accomplishments and proud moments. I also always splurge on fun post-it notes like the ones shaped like arrows or apples. What are your favorite supplies to purchase or receive?
2. Setting up the space: Decorating and creating functional spaces for learning is another exciting part of the back to school season. I can get lost for hours in the sea of amazing ideas on pinterest (<- click to follow us)! And there is something beautiful about a room all freshly set up to expand the minds of today's youth. For some ideas, here are links to a literature based classroom decoration and a grammar bulletin board idea that I have shared in the past.
3. Trying out new tech: Although new tech can be added during any point in the school year, the new year gives me the guts to try out new apps, software, and hardware. Here are some of my favorite classroom technology posts: Google Drive, Grammarly, Collaborize Classroom, Quizlet, and more! I can’t wait to try out some new things this year and share them here. If you have suggestions for cool tech tools I need to try out, please leave them in the comment section. ;)
4. Getting back into a routine: As much as I enjoy sleeping in, using the bathroom whenever I want, and losing track of which day it is, my body always appreciates getting back into the structure of a new school year. Even with the craziness of my teaching schedule, I find that I eat healthier, sleep more soundly, and drink more water when the school bell rules my day.
5. Starting fresh relationships: Every new school year is an opportunity to reset relationships, raise expectations, and let go of frustrations. I frequently have some of the same students during their freshmen and junior years, but even then conscious effort can allow us to find new appreciation for each other and our collective growth since our last classroom experience.
What are your favorite things about back to school? We wish you the very best school year yet! Don’t forget to stock up on great resources at Simply Novel!