I know summer has just started, but before we know it, we will be frantically pulling ourselves together for the hectic back to school season not to mention that many of us are teaching year around school or summer school, so this blog is of immediate use too! Today, I want to share some easy, make ahead breakfast ideas that will:
- allow us variety so we can easily tweak recipes all year without burning out
- not eat into our already busy prep time before class
- not break the bank
- and not leave us crashing before the bell has even dismissed first period
Easy, Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas for Teachers:
- Overnight Oats: These are so simple and filling that they really are a quick no brainer! They need no heating, so they can also be eaten easily in the classroom or during morning break. All you do here is combine a 1:1 ratio for your choice of oats and your choice of milk and refrigerate over night, or a few days in advance. You can adjust that ratio for drier/wetter oats according to your own preferences and add in a million combinations of fruit, sugar, granola, nut butters, etc. Here are just a few example combos:
- My fave: 1/2 cup steel cut oats with 1/2 cup almond milk. In the morning, I add a little extra almond milk, banana, strawberry, and low glycemic granola.
- My husband prefers rolled oats with cow's milk and brown sugar, topped with assorted berries.
- My son likes oats and milk with peanut butter, chia seeds, and banana.
- Frozen Burritos: I feel like burritos are a perfect vehicle to hold breakfast for busy teachers. Neatly wrapped up tortillas, burritos allow us to eat with one hand while we apply make up, write the agenda on the white board, or make photocopies with the other hand! Again, the beauty here is in the infinite combinations. All you have to do is make the filling, roll said filling in a tortilla, individually wrap burritos in plastic wrap, place your burrito stash in a large ziplock to freeze, and reheat in the morning! Like the overnight oats, these are easy to customize for family members or for yourself so you don't get bored.
- My fave: black beans, diced veggies (onion, zucchini, bell pepper, corn, etc), and a dash of California pepper plant hot sauce on a whole wheat tortilla.
- My husband opts for a classic bacon, egg, and cheese on a flour tortilla.
- My son is into sausage, egg, and potato on any kind of tortilla or wrap we happen to have.
- Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches: Breakfast sandwiches are the things my dreams are made of. All you have to do is fill some of your favorite bread and freeze. Here are the two tricks to re-heating them without the sog factor: 1. take the top bread off and toast it while you heat the bottom. 2. Microwave the bottom + filling for one minute on a paper towel, which will help keep the bottom bread from getting soggy. Here are a few favorites around here:
- My husband likes a classic egg, cheese, and ham on sandwich thin round bread.
- My son opts for sausage and egg on croissant.
- And my personal best (top toasted, but the rest cold) is a frozen almond butter and banana on a whole wheat English muffin.
What are your go-to before school breakfasts? We'd love to hear your comments below!